>5 STICKS DAVIDOFF LIMITED EDITION YEAR OF THE ROOSTER 2017 & 5 STICKS DAVIDOFF LIMITED EDITION YEAR OF THE DOG 2018<
- Cigar Reviewed: Davidoff Limited Edition 2018 Year of the Dog
- Country of Origin: Dominican Republic
- Factory: Cigars Davidoff
- Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano Claro
- Binder: Dominican San Vicente Seco
- Filler: Dominican Republic (Piloto Seco and Viso, San Vicente Ligero) & Nicaragua (Seco and Visos)
- Length: 7 Inches
- Ring Gauge: 50
- Vitola: Churchill
- Release Date: November 1, 2017
- Number of Cigars Released: 4,500 Boxes of 10 Cigars (45,000 Total Cigars)
As the Zodiac Series cigars tend to be, the Davidoff Year of the Dog is a very impressive looking cigar. The wrapper has a soft, oily feel to it along with a uniform medium brown color. When squeezed two samples produce an even, slight give while a third sample has a couple of softer spots...
Coming off the wrapper is a light, mild aroma of mostly grains, light leather and a hint of some hay. On the cold draw I get more mild notes, however it’s a little more complex with hay, vanilla, vegetal notes, a hint of pepper and cinnamon.
Starting into the first third, pepper, spice, a caramel sweetness and some charred bread make up the profile. There do seem to be some more underlying flavors, but the pepper is actually surprisingly strong up front despite the mild cold draw. While the burn has started out quite even, about an inch in the dense ash starts to split a little and a decent chunk falls way before the rest.
The draw is within the ideal range, though it certainly has a slight lean towards the tighter side of things. The pepper and spice up front continue to give the profile a kick, while the caramel and bread note settle into the middle. Background notes of hay, cedar and leather are starting to materialize into specific notes, though they are still quite faint.